The juicy grapefruit is not only in the salad, but we’ve made a vinaigrette from the juice too. Grapefruit pairs well with bitter greens like arugula, but you can definitely create a bed of greens to your liking using romaine, kale, mesclun or spinach.
For the salad:
8 cup salad greens
1/4 cup fresh dill
1/4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup salted pistachios, shell removed
For the dressing:
1/4 cup grapefruit juice (using half of 1 grapefruit from above)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup cold-pressed olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1. In a jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake well.
2. Mix together salad greens, dill, basil and red onion.
3. Peel and segment the remaining 1 1/2 grapefruits. Using a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off so the grapefruit can sit flat on a cutting board, and then cut off the peel and pith around the circumference of the fruit. Place the knife between the grapefruit segments close to the membrane and lightly push the flesh out removing it from the membrane.
4. Cut your avocado in half, then in quarters and remove the peel. Finely chop pistachios or run them through a coffee grinder to get a coarse meal. Dredge the quarters of avocado through the pistachio meal.
5. Dress the greens mixed with herbs and red onion with half the dressing. Place grapefruit segments and pistachio crusted avocado on top. Sprinkle with any remaining crushed pistachios and serve immediately.